Buying jewelry for yourself can be exciting, but it might also feel a bit intimidating. With so many pieces to choose from, how can you be sure that what you’ve selected is right for you?
Don’t worry…you really can’t go wrong when you’re treating yourself to that next special piece of jewelry. But if you’re not sure how to go about selecting the perfect item, read on to discover how to choose jewelry that you’ll love wearing.
In this article, we’ll cover:
- Is It OK to Buy Jewelry for Yourself?
- How Do I Pick the Right Jewelry?
- How to Find Your Jewelry Style
- 5 Tips for Choosing Jewelry for Yourself
- Commonly Asked Questions About Choosing Personal Jewelry
Is It OK to Buy Jewelry for Yourself?
Not only is it OK to buy yourself jewelry, but it can be a fulfilling and rewarding experience. When you choose your own jewelry, you have the opportunity to pick out pieces that you really want to wear. Whether you opt for a simple pair of stud earrings, or a bold statement piece, the jewelry you select should always be an expression of your personal taste and style.
There’s nothing selfish about treating yourself to beautiful new jewelry. It’s something that can be worn again and again, and purchasing personal jewelry can even be a form of self-care. Best of all, when you choose the jewelry yourself, you know that you’re buying something you genuinely love.
How Do I Pick the Right Jewelry?
Knowing how to pick the right jewelry means understanding that you shouldn’t worry too much about what “right” is. There’s more than just what’s trending when you’re choosing jewelry. Instead, focus on finding flattering pieces that you’ll enjoy wearing. Once you know what to look for, you’ll be able to pick out jewelry that fits your sense of style perfectly.
Jewelry Metals & Stones
An important part of choosing jewelry for yourself is figuring out what you’re drawn to. Do you prefer gold jewelry, or are you more comfortable wearing silver? Is there a particular gemstone, like rubies, that you gravitate towards?
There are also practical considerations to keep in mind. For example, silver is softer than gold, and it’s more prone to scratching. Taking the time to research metals and stones means you’ll pick out pieces that will last and survive your lifestyle and needs.
Your Skin Tone & Colors
Because jewelry sits directly against your skin, the way something looks on you will vary based on your skin tone. There’s no hard fast rule about who can wear what when it comes to metals, but a good rule of thumb is people with cool skin tones look great in silver, platinum, and white gold. People with warmer skin look fantastic in gold, brass, and coppers. If your skin has neutral undertones, you’ll look amazing in both gold and silver. And above all, don’t get sucked into the idea that you have to match a metal tone to your skin tone. If you’re wearing what you love, you’re going to look (and feel!) great!
Not sure what your skin tone is? Just look at your veins! Skin with cool undertones usually has blue or purple veins. Warm skin tones have green or olive veins, and neutral skin tones tend to have blue-green veins.
While you should try to find jewelry that you love, you should also look for pieces that are a good fit for your lifestyle. Learning how to choose everyday jewelry means you'll be able to select pieces that you’ll wear again and again.
Look at your current jewelry collection and think about the pieces you wear most frequently. Do you enjoy wearing simple necklaces and earrings, or are you drawn to bold statement pieces? Is there a particular piece you find yourself reaching for all the time, whether you’re heading to the park or to a Michelin Star restaurant?
If you spend a lot of time at the office, search for jewelry that compliments your business attire. Flat, simple pieces with practical stone settings are a terrific option for people who are more active. If you have a go-to piece that you wear over and over again, look for jewelry you can wear with it.
Your Personal Style
A surefire way to find the best jewelry is to define your personal style. Whether you’re preppy, love the boho look, or prefer simple, casual chic clothing, there are jewelry pieces that will work beautifully with your wardrobe.
If you’re drawn to classic, elegant clothing, a herringbone chain necklace will be a nice addition to your collection. Pearl earrings or a dainty ring can look stunning with ultra-feminine clothing, and a healing turquoise bracelet can highlight more bohemian looks. Once you find jewelry that works with your personal style, you can take your favorite outfits to the next level.
How to Find Your Jewelry Style
After you have a better understanding of your own, unique, individual, personal style, you’ll be able to find jewelry that suits it. Ask yourself a few questions to get a handle on your jewelry style:
- What kinds of colors do you typically wear? Are you drawn to bright and bold pieces, or is your everyday clothing more neutral?
- What do you normally wear to work? Is your work wardrobe on the dressier side, or does it skew more casual?
- What kinds of activities do you enjoy outside of work? On the weekends, are you more likely to go out for cocktails, or go for a hike?
- What kinds of details do you see when you look at your clothing? Do you wear pieces with feminine frills, like lace, or do you go for more simple, tailored, fitted pieces?
5 Tips for Choosing Jewelry for Yourself
Buying your own jewelry gives you the opportunity to select something that’s truly right for you. Choosing the perfect jewelry can be tricky, but once you know what to look for, you can pick out pieces you’ll love wearing again and again.
Keep these tips in mind when you’re choosing jewelry:
- Stay within your budget: The cost of jewelry can vary wildly based on the pieces you choose. Find a price range you’re comfortable with and look for options that fall into that range.
- Find pieces that are right for your lifestyle: You don’t have to be too practical when you’re picking out jewelry, but if you’re looking for everyday wear, you might want to take your lifestyle into consideration. Look for pieces that are appropriate and will fit into your lifestyle.
- Consider your skin tone: Jewelry that works with your skin tone is always going to be flattering. Whether you have cool, warm, or neutral undertones, you won’t go wrong with jewelry that looks great against your skin.
- Splurge on one special piece: A single piece of statement jewelry can take your collection to the next level. Consider investing in a piece that’s special or meaningful to you in some way.
- Don’t be afraid to try something new: You don’t have to stick to the basics when it comes to jewelry! Step outside your comfort zone and try out a variety of styles.
Shop Jewelry at Bryan Anthonys
Buying jewelry for yourself is a fantastic way to build a jewelry collection that you love. Don’t be afraid to invest in your personal style and happiness. If you’re looking for the perfect piece of jewelry, you can shop a variety of options and styles at Bryan Anthonys.
Commonly Asked Questions About Choosing Personal Jewelry
Finding the right jewelry can feel overwhelming when you first start buying for yourself. Below, you’ll find answers to some of the most common questions about picking out jewelry.
What is the best jewelry for everyday wear?
Diamond studs, stacking rings, and pendant necklaces are all stunning pieces that you can wear on a daily basis. If you’re searching for jewelry for everyday wear, make sure you take your wardrobe and your lifestyle into consideration.
What jewelry goes with everything?
Simple, minimal jewelry can work for any look, from business casual to an edgy ensemble. If you’re looking at gemstone jewelry, diamond and pearl pieces will complement virtually any outfit.
How many pieces of jewelry should you wear at once?
You can wear as much – or as little – jewelry as you like, but you should make sure that the pieces you’re wearing work well together.
Check out our guide on How to Layer Jewelry to learn how to mix and match pieces.
What jewelry does every woman need?
There are no set rules about what you need in your jewelry collection! That said, diamond studs, chain necklaces, and statement rings are all timeless, classic, popular, and versatile pieces that can be worn in many ways.
What is the most popular piece of jewelry?
Earrings are one of the most popular types of jewelry. Simple earrings, like studs and small hoops, offer a classic look that you can easily dress up or down, and they’re always in very high demand.