The right accessories can offer a finishing touch that really pulls your outfit together, and nothing can make quite a statement like the perfect necklace can. When paired with the right neckline, your necklace can be that single piece that totally brings your look together.
Get all the best tips on selecting what necklace to wear with what neckline here.
In this article, we’ll cover:
- What is a Shirt or Dress Neckline
- What to Consider When Choosing a Necklace for a Neckline
- The Different Types of Neckline
- How to Choose a Necklace with Different Necklines
- Do’s and Don’ts for Wearing Necklaces
What is a Shirt or Dress Neckline
A necklace is often one of the first things people notice when they meet you, so making sure your neckline works with whatever style necklace you choose is important. If you’re like most of us, you probably already have your one or two favorite necklaces, the pieces you find are your go-to faves.
But are you putting enough thought into choosing necklaces for necklines?
Are you thinking about each neckline you’ll wear?
Or, are you just putting on your favorite necklace repeatedly, regardless of the outfit or occasion?
Finding what necklace goes with what neckline can change your look and complete your outfit. Let's take a look at neckline shapes.
What to Consider When Choosing a Necklace for a Neckline
When deciding how to wear necklaces with different types of necklines, it's important to look at more than just color and style. You also need to think about the type of necklace you’re wearing and how it fits the shape of your neckline.
For instance, think about how to wear a necklace with a collared shirt. You’ll want a vastly different style and length necklace than if you’re wearing, say, a plunging neckline. You also want to consider the texture of your blouse or shirt, the type of occasion you’re dressing for and your hairstyle - all of these things will affect how well your necklace works with your look.
A Focal Point
Do you want to wear a choker necklace that emphasizes your neck? Or will you go with a long dangle necklace that has a modern, sexy, eye-catching feel? Your jewelry - especially your necklace - is your chance to really accentuate the style you’re going for when you're figuring out what to wear.
Keep in mind, your neckline will always be a focal point, unless you draw the attention away with another accent piece.
The Necklace style
When selecting a necklace for neckline shapes, think about the style of your wardrobe for the day. More pointedly, what shape is your neckline?
A good example of this is to think about a necklace for sweetheart neckline shapes - it should fit within the neckline so it complements the shape and style. Then you have to decide which styles match the sweetheart neckline.
Keep reading this necklace guide for necklines if you need help finding the right match.
The Neckline Shape
What shapes do necklines come in? We often take how a blouse or shirt fits for granted without thinking about how many necklines there are.
Knowing how to wear necklaces with different necklines is not just a bit of an art, it’s also a bit of a science. There's no exact formula, but the right necklines and necklaces can dress up any look - from an evening gown, to a casual day look, to a professional look for work.
The Different Types of Neckline
There are multiple styles and shapes of necklines that you might not even realize are available. If you look through your wardrobe, you’ll probably realize you have at least one, if not several, of each of these styles.
- Crew Necklines: A crew neck is a flat round collar often seen on t-shirts. It shortens the neck and gives you a fuller chest area.
- Square Necklines: Square necklines aren't always square - they can also be rectangular. The main feature is a squared-off opening in the front of the blouse with sharp angular corners.
- Scoop Necklines: A scoop neckline is similar to the crew, although with a longer opening that highlights the wearer’s collarbone.
- Boat Necklines: A boat neckline is wide at the shoulders with a long, shallow front. This neckline draws attention to the sides of the neck and shoulders.
- Off Shoulder Neckline: Off the shoulder neckline can be off one shoulder or two. Eyes are drawn to the visible skin of the neck and shoulder.
- Strapless Neckline: A strapless neckline bares the neck, shoulders and upper chest, giving you a lot of room for a statement piece.
- Halter Neckline: Halters are usually tied at the neck and/or lower back. These necklines can vary, either going to the base of the neck in the front, or lower, like a scoop neckline.
- Sweetheart Neckline: Sweetheart necklines are usually displayed on evening dresses or evening wear. This neckline features a wide area with sculptured curves.
- V-Neck: V-necks typically have a crew neck back of the neck and a triangular v-shaped front.
- Collared Neckline: A collared neckline is often what you’ll see on button-down blouses worn with professional work clothing.
- Cowl Neckline: A cowl neck is a neckline consisting of loose draped fabric around the collarbone.
- Asymmetrical Neckline: This neckline is a piece of art on its own, with an off-centered neckline that can range in depth.
- Turtlenecks: Turtlenecks are typically worn in cold weather and cover most of the neck with a snug column of fabric.
- Plunging Neckline: Meant to attract with a hint of seduction, the plunging neckline can be found on evening wear and may need to be worn with special undergarments.
How to Choose a Necklace with Different Necklines
When selecting a necklace for a particular neckline, remember that you want to attract attention and direct eyes to a specific area. What style and look you go after can depend on the setting you’re in and the reason for the occasion.
Using this guide to find the perfect type of necklace for different necklines will help you select the right pairing.
You can learn how to find the perfect fit for a necklace with our Necklace Size Guide.
Necklace Styles for a Crew Neckline
There are a few options when wearing a crew neckline. This neckline is usually found on t-shirts and casual clothing. A good pairing with a crew neckline is a choker that shows up nicely on the neck. Another option is a long necklace that hangs to the middle of the chest.
Shop for chic, fashionable, stylish Choker Necklaces here.
Necklace Styles for a Scoop Neckline
Since a scoop neckline features the collarbone area, you might choose a short, round necklace. Or, you can always opt for a longer necklace, as long as it doesn't fall lower than the neckline itself. The Through Thick and Thin Necklace is a great choice for a scoop neck.
Necklace Styles for a Square Neckline
Square necklines have an angular feel as a result of the corners of the neckline itself. A necklace for square neckline tops that’s appealing might include a square-shaped necklace or pendant. Or, you can always contrast the neckline with a round necklace. The There in a Heartbeat Necklace is a perfect style for a square neckline top.
Necklace Styles for a Boat Neckline
Boat neck tops are rather shallow in the front and back and wide on the sides. This neckline shape looks best with a choker or short round necklace. The Grit Necklace is a good choice.
To keep your jewelry from falling inside your shirt, avoid wearing necklaces with a length that’s the exact same as the boat neckline itself. Just a bit longer, so the necklace lays an inch or two longer than the shirt line, adds a striking, but clean look to your outfit.
Necklace Styles for an Off Shoulder or Strapless Neckline
If your off-shoulder neckline is on a casual top, you can wear a very short necklace or choker. You can also select a very long necklace, like a string of pearls that you can tie for a different look. Layered necklaces can look amazing against the open chest and neckline. A large pendant, like our Depth Necklace, can be the perfect choice to add that little something extra to your strapless or off shoulder top.
If your off-shoulder style is on an evening dress, you might decide to keep your necklace shorter than the neckline.
Necklace Styles for a V-Neck
A v-neckline has a triangular shape along the chest and neck, offering room for a bold piece, if that’s the look you want. Think about wearing a large triangular-shaped necklace or pendant that stands out. Your necklace should either fit inside the v-neckline, or completely outside of it, on top of the fabric.
The When Life Gives You Lemons Necklace works well with a v-neck. Whatever style you go for, remember that necklaces for deep v necklines should still emphasize the triangular shape of the neckline.
Necklace Styles for a Halter Neckline
Halter necklines can vary, so it's important to take note of how deep the neckline actually is before you decide on a necklace. For shallow necklines, a choker can be a good choice. For deeper necklines, you might opt to wear a decorated chain or a petite pendant necklace. Our Strength Dainty Spark Necklace is a good pairing.
Necklace Styles for a Sweetheart Neckline
Sweetheart necklines offer a lot of room for a necklace, so you can use this style to your advantage if you love the look of large, bold statement pieces. But, remember it’s also important to match the necklace to the occasion you’re dressing for, too.
For fancy, formal events, you can wear a choker that highlights the upper neck and neckline. Or, you can choose a large pendant necklace that fills much of the neckline. Don't go below the end of the neckline though. The Grit Choker looks beautiful with a sweetheart neckline.
Necklace Styles for a Collared Neckline
When wearing a collared shirt (with or without a suit jacket), you can do one of two things to pair your necklace with a collared shirt. The first option is a small chain or dainty pendant neckline inside the collar. Some people prefer the look of a bolder, longer necklace outside the collar. If you do the latter, make sure the necklace doesn't interfere with the buttons or collar. You might go for a thick chain or beaded, chunky necklace.
Necklace Styles for an Asymmetrical Neckline
Wearing a necklace according to neckline can be tricky when you’re working with an asymmetrical neckline. Since the neckline is a big part of the style here, you might not want to overshadow it. Instead, think about wearing a choker or a slim, dainty chain or pendant, like this Breathe Necklace.
Necklace Styles for a Cowl Neckline
Cowl necklines can also be a little challenging to pair with a necklace. You don't want to get the necklace tangled up with the fabric of the neckline. For an easy, carefree look, wear a pretty choker that you can see above the cowl neckline.
Necklace Styles for Turtlenecks
Turtlenecks are a unique style, mostly worn in the winter, although a sleeveless turtleneck can be a stylish look during the spring and summer months, too. It goes without saying that the actual turtleneck is the main focus here.
When wearing a turtleneck, your necklace should drop to the upper or middle chest area. You can still choose a shorter necklace if you’re in love with the look of one, but you might want to consider an extender to lengthen a short chain so it works better. Chunky beads or chains also look great against the long profile of the turtleneck. Our You Are My Sunshine Necklace is a fun choice.
Necklace Styles for a Plunging Neckline
When a plunging neckline draws the eye, you don't want to detract from the statement. Wearing a very short choker or pendant or an extremely long chain are your best bets. The Never Lost Necklace is a good option.
Do’s and Don’ts for Wearing Necklaces
There are some general do's and don'ts for wearing and taking care of your necklaces. Keep the following in mind to ensure you’re always looking your best, in every outfit, with every necklace, every time you step outside.
To Do’s for Wearing Necklaces
Whether they’re being worn or put away, taking care of your necklaces will keep them lasting longer and looking great.
- Do keep your necklaces clean and polished. They can gather dirt and dust if they sit for a long time or if you wear them often.
- Do make sure you have a secure clasp so the necklace doesn't fall off.
- Do wear a necklace that won't interfere with the function of your blouse or top.
- Do look for a necklace that emphasizes or contrasts the style of your neckline.
Things to Avoid for Wearing Necklaces
Here is a list of don'ts for your necklace wear.
- Don't wear a dusty or dirty necklace.
- Don't leave necklaces out in piles on your bedroom dresser, table, or bathroom counter.
- Don't wear a necklace that can catch on your clothing.
- Don't wear a necklace that clashes with your style or outfit.
Shop Necklaces at Bryan Anthonys
If you have an event coming up and need to find the right necklace to wear, shop our collections of dainty and sentimental necklaces for women. You’ll always find what you're looking for at Bryan Anthonys.
Should you wear a necklace with a high neckline?
Yes. You can wear a high choker or a long necklace, according to the neckline.
Can you wear a necklace with a mock neck?
Sure you can. Just make sure the necklace doesn't interfere with the neckline.
How do I pick the right necklace?
Follow the guidelines here for everything you need to know about how to wear different necklaces for different necklines.